1/2 lb sugar snap peas
1/2 medium onion
Small handful fresh mint leaves
1/8 cup almonds
1/8 cup rice vinegar
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Chop onion into half moon slivers. Caramelize over medium-high heat in an oiled sautee pan for about 25 minutes.
- Wash the sugar snap peas and de-string them if necessary, snapping the tip and removing the fibrous strand running lengthwise. Drop snap peas into the pot of boiling water. Cook for 2 minutes, then strain out and drop them into an ice bath.
- Once peas are cooled, strain and place half in a large bowl. Shell the other half, adding the peas to the bowl. Julienne the remaining pod shells lengthwise and add to the bowl.
- Roughly chop the mint leaves. Toast and roughly chop the almonds. Add mint, almonds, and caramelized onions to the bowl.
- Mix together the rice vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and drizzle over the salad. Toss well, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Recipe & photo courtesy of Lick My Spoon