1/2 lb of fresh Okra
1/4 cup chickpea flour plus 2 tablespoons rice flour, stirred together
½ tsp cayenne to taste
½ tsp coriander powder
Oil for deep frying
Salt, powdered rock salt or chaat masala to taste
Lime wedges for garnish
1. Wash okra and pat dry with a towel. Spread it out in a single layer on a dry towel and set aside until the okra is completely dry. If pressed for time use a paper towel to individually wipe down each pod and remove the wetness.
2. Trim the tops of the okra and discard them. Slice each piece into two, lengthwise.
3. Sprinkle the flours all over the okra and add the chilli and coriander powder. Toss lightly and set aside. Do not add any salt.
4. Heat about 2 1/2 - 3" of oil in a deep frying pan. Place the okra in a colander and tap lightly to remove any excess flour. Deep fry about a handful at a time, on medium-high heat until the okra is crisp and browned. Drain well and place it on paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
5. Immediately sprinkle the rock salt or chaat masala liberally over the crisps. Serve right away, with lemon wedges on the side.
Recipe & photo courtesy of Tadka Pasta