2 medium-sized heads of broccoli
1/3 -1/2 cup olive oil
2 or more cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or 4 tbsp other vinegar)
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Cut the heads in to bite-sized florets, peel the outer, more fibrous layer of the stalk and cut that into small pieces too. Rinse and put into a large bowl.
2. In a medium-sized pan, heat the olive oil and cook the minced garlic until it is about to start browning. Add the balsamic vinegar and let bubble on a high flame for a few minutes. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper.
3. Pour the hot mixture over the raw broccoli and mix well.
4. Adjust for pepper and salt and add a dash of soy sauce.
5. Toast the sesame seeds, sprinkle them over the broccoli, add the cranberries and toss the salad. 6. Let marinate for at least an hour before serving.
Recipe & photo courtesy of Nuts About Food