1 cup whole spelt flour
1/4 cup almond meal (or use more spelt if you like)
1 1/3 cups ground flax + chia seeds (or go with pure flax or pure chia)
2/3 cup coconut palm sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
pinch of ground ginger
pinch of fine sea salt
1 ripe banana, mashed
2 tbsp melted coconut oil + extra for greasing
1 3/4 cups milk of your choice (I used almond)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed (or fresh if they’re in season)
3/4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
2 tbsp cacao nibs
juice and zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease your mini bundt or muffin tins and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine spelt flour, almond meal, flax + chia seeds, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
3. Mash the banana in a separate bowl, making sure it is fairly smooth. Add in the coconut oil, milk and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
4. Scrape the banana and milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Gently fold the batter until it is just combined with no dry bits of flour. Add the blueberries, dried cranberries, walnuts, and cacao nibs and gently fold them into the batter until evenly distributed. The batter should be quite thick at this point.
5. Fill the muffin cups/bundts with the batter to 3/4 full. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean and muffins bounce back when you press your finger onto the tops. Cool the pans on a wire rack completely before turning out onto a plate.
6. While muffins are baking/cooling, make the glaze: whisk the clementine zest, juice and powdered sugar together until smooth. Apply glaze to the tops of completely cooled muffins.
Recipe & photo courtesy of The First Mess